The Great 2017
July 20th to 23rd, 2017
A Letterpress Extravaganza with a Hollywood Flair
at THE INTERNATIONAL PRINTING MUSEUM Carson, California
Hosted by Mark Barbour APA 662 and his team at the Printing Museum, this year’s Wayzgoose will be a very full weekend of letterpress printing, type and typecasting, among the backdrop of one of the world’s largest collections of antique printing machinery. The Printing Museum is home to one of the largest collections of working printing machinery in the world. Attendees will be among more than 400 years of printing history, from early wooden and cast iron hand presses, to 19th and 20th century platen presses and cylinder presses, thousands of fonts of type both metal and wood, working typecasting machines from Linotypes and Ludlows to Thompsons and Monotypes.
The presentations will also have a special focus on the unique Los Angeles letterpress scene, from the bold and colorful Kevin Bradley and his Church of Type in Santa Monica, to Rebecca Chamlee, Otis College Lab Press, Art Center in Pasadena, The Bieler Press, and Kitty Maryatt of the Scripps College Press. Attendees will be encouraged to print, cast, create, and be inspired with the Printing Museum collections.
Given the Printing Museum’s involvement in renting presses to the studios for more than 50 years, this year’s Wayzgoose will have a special Hollywood theme to it. There will even be a Hollywood-style screening, under the stars, of PRESSING ON: THE LETTERPRESS FILM, complete with large letterpress printing of movie posters!
The LA Wayzgoose will be filled with plenty of letterpress activities, presentations, and opportunities to get ink on your fingers with fellow artisans and afficionados. Schedule details and presenters are still being confirmed, but here are some basics to help you plan for a July sojourn to Los Angeles:
- Thursday Workshops on Printing with Windmills and Platens, Ornaments with Jen Farrell, Typecasting, Foil Stamping, Poster Printing with Kevin Bradley
- Gregory Walters showcasing his amazing 19th century books, The Printers Letterpress Specimen Exchange
- Jennifer Farrell & her Chicago Ornament Project
- Kevin Bradley & The Church of Type Retrospective
- The Los Angeles Letterpress Scene Panel Presentation
- Printing on Platen Presses Large & Small, Common & Very Obscure
- A Letterpress Movie Night Under the Stars
- Makeready Techniques from the Masters
- Large Letterpress Swap Meet & APA Auction
- Banquet Presentation: The Printing Press on the Silver Screen